St Columba’s, Queen Street, Nairn, IV12 4AA
St Columba’s Church is part of the Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness, one of seven Diocese of the Scottish Episcopal Church
and a self governing province within the World-wide Anglican Communion. Anyone, from any branch of Christ’s Church, is
welcome to receive communion with us and our worship follows the pattern of the Scottish Liturgy 1982.
In the early days of Scottish Church life, the Dean’s benefice was that of Nairn, and was dedicated to St. Columba, the dedication of the present Church.
1729 saw the death of the last Episcopa lian Incumbent before the Revolution, after which occasional services were held in various locations.
A church dedicated to St. Ninian, was built in 1845 at the corner of Lochloy Road. The congregation persistently refused to accept the authority of the
Scottish Bishops and continued as one of the ‘English Episcopal Churches’ in Scotland. In 1853 Bishop Eden appointed the Reverend John Comper to gather
together a Scottish Episcopalian congregation in the town. They met in an ‘upper room’ until a Church was built in 1857, dedicated to St. Columba.
The two churches continued separately until 1879 when the schismatic church ceased to exist.
In 1870 St. Columba’s Church was extended to its present size, and in 1889 the pipe organ was built.
The interior of the Church is rich in stained glass - the rose window is very special, as are the windows by Sir Ninian Comper,
(with his “strawberry signature”) one of which is in memory of his father, who established the congregation.